Launching and Growing Thriving Online Communities and Forums: Lessons from Platform Success

StevenM

The journey of launching and growing online communities and forums can be likened to the challenges faced by digital platform businesses in attracting and mobilizing users. Successful platforms, such as social media networks and collaborative forums, effectively connect a diverse array of users, facilitating interactions and information sharing. To embark on this path and achieve lasting success, community managers should ponder five fundamental questions tailored to their context:

1. Can I Attract a Diverse User Base?

Building a thriving online community hinges on attracting a diverse and engaged user base. This diversity can encompass contributors, moderators, and consumers of content. There are two primary approaches: leveraging existing user pools or tapping into publicly available user data.

Consider the case of a new discussion forum seeking rapid growth. If the platform possesses a substantial user base from related platforms or websites, it can channel this existing community to kickstart discussions. However, this tactic should be approached with caution, as it might raise concerns about migrating users without their consent.

Alternatively, community managers can adopt an approach similar to Zillow's strategy. They can aggregate publicly available data, organize it into a valuable service, and entice users to contribute and enhance this data further. In this model, monetization often comes from businesses seeking to advertise or promote their services within the community.

2. Can I Deliver Stand-Alone Value?

Offering intrinsic value to users, even when the platform is in its infancy, is a powerful strategy. While some platforms, like Skype, can provide standalone value to individual users, others may need to identify niche markets where they can gain traction. For instance, a niche-focused review website may concentrate on a specific category, such as ethnic food in a particular city, to attract dedicated users. Over time, as the platform grows and diversifies its offerings, it can expand to encompass broader topics and functionalities.

3. How Do I Build Credibility?

Building credibility is paramount for attracting initial users and keeping them engaged. Platforms can offer free services, such as search or email, to build trust and credibility with users. This free access helps users feel that the platform is worth their time and investment, especially if they plan to contribute actively.

Moreover, platforms can seek partnerships or collaborations with renowned entities or influential contributors in their niche. These partnerships serve as credibility boosters, assuring users of the platform's value and future success.

4. Can I Mitigate User Risks?

User subsidies and pay-as-you-go pricing models can help mitigate risks for platform users. Offering discounts or subsidies to early adopters incentivizes them to join and contribute, even if the platform's benefits are not immediately apparent. This strategy often involves subsidizing one type of user to attract more, thereby creating a more dynamic and valuable ecosystem.

Additionally, flexible pricing models, such as pay-as-you-go, can reduce risks for users. For example, a platform like Groupon could have adopted a flat-fee advertising model for restaurants. However, this would have been risky for restaurants with concerns about low user counts and limited interest. Instead, Groupon's model allowed restaurants to pay based on performance, reducing their risk.

5. How Do I Address Compatibility and Transition?

Successful platforms are often adept at addressing compatibility with existing systems and facilitating user transitions. In the context of online communities and forums, this involves ensuring interoperability, data conversions, and information synchronization.

Compatibility does not need to be perfect but should be sufficient to attract users. Platforms like Apple's iPhone initially lacked third-party app installations but provided web-based applications as an imperfect yet functional alternative. Over time, these platforms can enhance compatibility and encourage users to switch more comprehensively.

In summary, the launch and growth of thriving online communities and forums share similarities with the strategies employed by successful digital platforms. By pondering these five fundamental questions and adapting platform principles, community managers can foster vibrant and sustainable online communities that cater to diverse user needs.

View full article

• 2 months later...

I join communities to learn, share, and also have fun. As long as a community offers these three things, I am willing to join a community. I believe most people who join communities and remain active in these communities are also there fore learning, sharing, and having fun. You need to build a community that provides learning opportunities by providing valuable content. You also need to build a place that makes people easier to share.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...