Mistakes to Avoid When Running a Community

Olivia

Managing an online community is a dynamic and rewarding endeavor, but it's not without its challenges. Mistakes are a natural part of the learning process, and they should be viewed as opportunities for growth rather than failures. In this article, we will explore common mistakes made in online community management and how to turn them into valuable learning experiences, drawing insights from behavioral economics, psychology, and best practices in community management.

1. Ignoring Community Feedback

Mistake: One common pitfall is neglecting to acknowledge and act upon feedback from your community members. Ignoring their input can create the impression that you don't value their opinions.

Solution: Embrace feedback as a valuable resource. Actively listen to your community members and implement constructive feedback. Demonstrating that you value their insights not only fosters trust but also helps improve your community's functionality and engagement.

2. Abusing Power or Being Overly Strict

Mistake: Without clear and well-communicated community guidelines, you risk being perceived as arbitrary or overly strict in enforcing rules. This can lead to confusion and even resentment among your community members.

Solution: Establish transparent guidelines that are easily accessible to all community members. A well-defined set of rules helps create a sense of order and fairness. Enforce rules consistently, avoiding any appearance of favoritism or capriciousness.

3. Neglecting Privacy and Security

Mistake: Failing to prioritize the privacy and security of your community members can lead to breaches of trust and potential security issues. Neglecting these aspects can harm your community's reputation.

Solution: Implement robust privacy policies and security measures to safeguard your community's data. Ensure that communication channels are secure. Building a reputation for protecting member privacy will enhance your community's credibility.

4. Lack of Preparedness for Growth

Mistake: Communities can experience rapid growth, catching their managers off guard. Without adequate preparation, this growth can lead to chaos and overwhelm.

Solution: Anticipate the potential for growth and have scalable plans in place. Ensure that you have an adequate number of moderators to handle increased activity. Implement clear guidelines and onboarding procedures for new members to maintain a welcoming environment.

5. Neglecting Community Analytics and Performance Metrics

Mistake: Overlooking the monitoring of community analytics and performance metrics is a missed opportunity to understand your community better and make informed decisions.

Solution: Regularly analyze data to identify trends and patterns within your community. Metrics such as engagement rates, user demographics, and content performance can offer valuable insights. Use this information to adapt your strategies, tailor content, and improve user experiences.

Conclusion

Mistakes are stepping stones to growth and improvement in online community management. By acknowledging and learning from these common mistakes, you can develop essential skills in community management, foster trust among your members, and create a thriving online community. Remember, a mistake is not a failure; it's an opportunity to evolve and provide an even better experience for your community.

View full article

• 2 months later...

I have been running a couple of communities for a few years and one of the major mistakes I see people making with a community is they start with premium software. Expenses for running a community get so high that these people end up shutting down communities. Unless you have set a huge budget for your community, I think you need to start with open source and then upgrade to premium software once your community starts growing.

A lot of people start a community with the hope that they will start getting members easily, however, this does not happen in most cases. One of the major mistakes I see people making is having high expectations regarding building a member base. People believe that that can simply bring members by promoting on social sites, however, the users of social sites are not interested in forums.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One mistake that always jumps out at me when I see someone who runs a community is they always have high expectations too early on. 

I have known some to expect their community to take off overnight and when it does not, they either shut down or sell it and call it a loss. 

On 11/22/2023 at 7:23 AM, Nomad said:

I have been running a couple of communities for a few years and one of the major mistakes I see people making with a community is they start with premium software. Expenses for running a community get so high that these people end up shutting down communities. Unless you have set a huge budget for your community, I think you need to start with open source and then upgrade to premium software once your community starts growing.

This I also have to agree with. Xenforo at the moment seems to be one of the popular ones that many who start a community go for without realizing how costly it can be, this can often result in spending more than they can afford and giving up because they do not see the success they expected.