For Developers: Do you plan to offer the updatechecker on your files?

Updatechecker  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Will your apps contain an updatechecker so clients are notified of a new version?

• Yes, definitely!
    • Maybe, need to update my files
    • No, I don't know how
    • No, I'm lazy

One of the great things that made working with third-party apps and plugins was the updatechecker, which automatically notified clients of a new version. 

They could update their main Invision Community software, and also update your mod.  It also meant clients had a valuable reminder to keep renewing.

Shared data file, flat icon of folder update 6431868 Vector Art at Vecteezy

Do you plan to offer the updatechecker on your files?  Why or why not?  

• Like 1

For anyone who needs a link to the Application update checker by Nathan, this is the link:

It's awesome ot see the IPS third-party community collaborate and share their expertise with each other.  So proud of everyone!  🥰

• Like 1

• The title was changed to For Developers: Do you plan to offer the updatechecker on your files?
  • Providers

I made a custom database in Pages, and then I pointed all links to a page with a custom PHP block that returns the updated data in JSON format.

I've been using it since before the marketplace added the built-in update check. People with my mods installed will still get update notifications once the marketplace check is removed from Invision Community in a future version. 🙂

Edited by terabyte
  • Like 1

• Providers
On 10/16/2023 at 6:12 AM, terabyte said:

I made a custom database in Pages, and then I pointed all links to a page with a custom PHP block that returns the updated data in JSON format.

I've been using it since before the marketplace added the built-in update check. People with my mods installed will still get update notifications once the marketplace check is removed from Invision Community in a future version. 🙂

Same, but the form became too annoying with all the custom fields

Could contain: Page, Text

So I've created a custom application that grabs the data while the upload to the downloads app, extracts the version and stores it to a new metadata extension.
This way I don't need to care about updating it ever again,... just upload it to the downloads app and let the app handle everything else automatically in the background.

Edited by IC Essentials

• Providers
27 minutes ago, terabyte said:

@IC Essentials That's way too many fields, I have only 8 fields in mine. And I only need to update 3 fields each time:

1. Human Version
  2. Long Version
  3. Release date
  4. Release notes (I barely change this one, so not counting it)

Yea, I thought it would be handy to manage everything via the DB but it didn’t work out aus expected.

• Laugh 1