Single Niche Vs. Multi Niche

Kane

Do you own a community? Is it a single niche or multi-niche? Why did you choose a single niche or multi-niche for your forum?

I like single niche forums, that's because I know what to expect there and I do not have to bother with topics that I do not like. I do not want to be in a community where users create posts on almost everything. It will be really difficult to find quality content in these communities.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 niche communities. The one has been around since 2006 and over the years we have created a ton of forums and subforums to cover a wide array of topics, but most people still come for the niche content.

My latest fledgling project is also a niche forum. We have a general discussion area, but this niche is much narrower and I don't foresee ever branching out as much as the first one.

I currently have a single-niche forum and a multi-niche forum and have been known to participate in multi-niche and single-niche forums. 

The single-niche forum I co-own is a gaming and content creation forum and the multi-niche is a general chat and slight promotion forum. 

I will admit, as much as multi-niche does offer you a lot of topics to be able to discuss, sometimes single-niche is much easier staying on one topic.

I am running three forums. One of my forums is on the mental health niche, another one is on the business and finance niche. My third forum is on lifestyle and health niches. Since health is a part of lifestyle, I believe lifestyle and health can be put into one niche. The purpose of running single niche forums is to get targeted traffic and users who care about the specific niche. I have never run a multi-niche community.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:10 AM, Shortie said:

I currently have a single-niche forum and a multi-niche forum and have been known to participate in multi-niche and single-niche forums. 

The single-niche forum I co-own is a gaming and content creation forum and the multi-niche is a general chat and slight promotion forum. 

I will admit, as much as multi-niche does offer you a lot of topics to be able to discuss, sometimes single-niche is much easier staying on one topic.

When you have a multi-niche forum, you will never have a dearth of topics for discussion, you have a lot of options for topics. However, it will be difficult to bring targeted traffic because people interested in certain niches might not be interested in joining your community where all sorts of people discuss all sorts of topics.

Depending on whether you choose a single-niche or multi-niche community will depend on the owner and their interests. 

Multi-niche forums will offer a wide range of topics to talk about and could keep activity going without issue but not focusing on just one niche could limit how many wish to join your community. 

I would much rather go for single-niche but I would do that as I look at it as a monetization opportunity. 

I currently own a single-niche forum which is doing quite well at the moment. The process has been slow but I always expect that when it comes to a forum and a single-niche forum and have always been someone who believes that slow and steady wins the race.

I have run both single-niche and multi-niche forums in the past and from experience, I have found that multi-niche forums have been the most difficult to get going and stay active as opposed to single-niche forums. 

In most cases, those on the internet are usually looking for something specific and because of that, single-niche tends to be the better option for those looking for something specific. Yes, single-niche forums take a little more to build up but it is always worth it in the end. 

On 12/9/2023 at 4:01 AM, Destiny said:

Depending on whether you choose a single-niche or multi-niche community will depend on the owner and their interests. 

Multi-niche forums will offer a wide range of topics to talk about and could keep activity going without issue but not focusing on just one niche could limit how many wish to join your community. 

I would much rather go for single-niche but I would do that as I look at it as a monetization opportunity. 

If you are looking to monetize your community, I believe single-niche communities are better. When you are focused on a single niche, you can get contextual ads on your sites. When your ads are related to your website niche, the chances of getting clicks on your ads become higher. It is also easier to rank your website on search engines if you are focusing on single niche.