When IPS 5 comes out …

IPS 5 poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. When IPS 5 comes out …

• I will upgrade pretty quickly to it …
    • I will have to wait for some 3rd-party themes/apps to be compatible, but then I switch.
    • I have no plans to switch to 5 anytime soon.

I watched a couple of the version 5 videos and I don't really know what there is to be super excited about. Yes, the UI is fresh and for all I know the underlying code some sort of improvement. It's got some whiz bang features but I'm having trouble seeing how they're going to grow traffic.

At the end of the day it is a message board/ web forum. How sexy can it be? The current version is stable, quite good form my perspective and my readers get what they're looking for. So what is the compelling reason to endure the upgrade?

Edited by John Horton

On 2/4/2024 at 9:58 AM, John Horton said:

At the end of the day it is a message board/ web forum. How sexy can it be?

This is a really interesting comment, because I actually think community building and modern online discussions can be sexy.  (Okay, sexy might be a stretch, but I find it fascinating).  

For example, 

• How do we approach social and casual conversations differently from 'success conversations' (where there's a question or request)?
  • How do we place value - and what kinds of value - on authoritativeness, expertise, and timeliness
  • How do we approach and nurture new members vs returning members vs power users?  
  • How do we truncate or summarize or break apart long discussions?  

There are so many questions!  There's a lot of psychology, a lot of behavioral design, a lot of organizational management, and a lot of undefined answers that have yet to be built for independent communities.  

Then you expand all of this to the entirety of Invision Community, where you can host live events, where you can build databases of reference materials, where people can chronicle their personal journals in blogs, you can start to achieve some really wonderful things.  

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 3:30 PM, V0RT3X said:

In this case, XenForo has made a good decision.

Wow. I hate the Xenforo editor. Maybe it's just because I am so used to CKEditor instead.

The CKEditor in IPS is version 4. I believe CKEditor official is now on their 5th iteration.