Do you still list boards on your forum's front page?

JoelR

Forum Index  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What view do you show to your guests and members?

• List of boards (traditional)
    • Grid
    • Fluid forum / list of topics

The traditional view for the vast majority of forums, and the view that most forum admins are accustomed to, is the traditional view where it shows the list of forum boards.  You have to click into the board to see the list of topics.

Do you use one of the other views such as fluid forum or grid view as the default view for guests and members? 

Both my boards default to the traditional forum view. But members have the option of changing the appearance themselves. 

On my large successful board, we have a lot of forums and subforums, so the traditional view makes the most sense. On my newer board, I have a Recent Topics widget above the traditional table layout, so attention can be draw to the activity that is taking place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only see traditional view of forums, I hate new style and modern style. BUT new kids see social media and different view and different generation, we must change with the times, I look at IPBoard because they evolve and modern.  But I still hate new views, only like traditional view for me.   

• 3 weeks later...

With forums that I own or help run, I tend to use the traditional method for listing boards as that is what I am used to and I feel that is the more popular option when it comes to members using your forum. 

I have a few times used grid view both as an admin/owner and also as a member and it's not my favourite, I always feel better going back to what I am used to which is traditional. 

• 2 weeks later...

I not only like visiting forums with list view on the home page but also use the same kind of format for my forums as well. When the forum has a list view, it is easy to see all the categories and the last posts on each topic. I find grid view very confusing.

• Like 1

I'm using the traditional format for my active community, but I'm using the fluid view for the forums of my in progress community at Fan Clubs. This is so I can showcase content from across the site and clubs while things are a bit sparse.

Once there's enough growth and activity, I expect to switch to a more traditional forum structure, allowing members to switch to their preference.

On 1/29/2024 at 7:40 AM, Nomad said:

I not only like visiting forums with list view on the home page but also use the same kind of format for my forums as well. When the forum has a list view, it is easy to see all the categories and the last posts on each topic. I find grid view very confusing.

Grid view was something I toyed with back last year, at first I felt it was a good idea and something different but soon after using it, I found that it wasn't as great as it seemed to be and the traditional way was something I went back to. 

I prefer to see the activity of each forum I guess as I feel that gives you an idea of how active the forum is and also whether you could contribute to the forum if you were to join. 

• 2 months later...

Grid View caught my eye back last year and I gave it a try in my community for a little while but found that most preferred the traditional way, so I went back to that. 

I see most forums offering the traditional list of boards and that seems to be the norm for most forums