Do you allow AI content within your community?

AI content is something that is becoming more popular and frequent in online communities with many turning to AI for ideas on what to write about and using that to create a topic to drum up engagement. 

Do you allow AI content within your community? If yes, how far will you let it got before you put your foot down? 

AI written content in communities is an interesting social experiment to me.  

As long as the content is aligned with the topic, I don't see the problem at this point in time - to be frank, a large majority of users generated content is not very useful or helpful.  For example: forum games, forum battles, low value replies, etc.  

It's going to make authoritative and vetted, trusted content even more valuable.  

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 8:22 PM, JoelR said:

AI written content in communities is an interesting social experiment to me.  

As long as the content is aligned with the topic, I don't see the problem at this point in time - to be frank, a large majority of users generated content is not very useful or helpful.  For example: forum games, forum battles, low value replies, etc.  

It's going to make authoritative and vetted, trusted content even more valuable.  

I was under the impression that AI-generated content was frowned upon when it came to SEO. Is this not the case?

I feel many webmasters tend to steer clear of it for that very reason, would be interesting to know if that is the case though. 

13 hours ago, Shortie said:

I was under the impression that AI-generated content was frowned upon when it came to SEO. Is this not the case?

There is a difference.

• AI-generated content without human review is mostly garbage, not helpful and frowned.
  • AI-generated content with human review and fact check is state of the art. 😉 

18 hours ago, Shortie said:

I feel many webmasters tend to steer clear of it for that very reason, would be interesting to know if that is the case though. 

I haven't actually seen any studies yet from the major SEO blogs on the impact of AI content to SEO.  If anything, AI is much better at SEO-optimized content than the regular user.  The regular user can't do proper titles, tagging, etc.  

In regards to a broader thought, I think way too many legacy forum webmasters overthink and overemphasize SEO.  Google doesnt ignore their site because "OMG it has 2 AI articles", Google ignores their site because their site isn't very valuable to begin with.  It's all social low value like forum battles, everyday conversations, count backwards, etc.  

20 hours ago, JoelR said:

It's all social low value like forum battles, everyday conversations, count backwards, etc.  

This. 

20 hours ago, JoelR said:

orum webmasters overthink and overemphasize SEO

SEO is like a good fuel. The community is the car. But the fuel is useless if the car itself is a piece of junk. 😉

• Like 1

I want humans to interact in my communities, I do not want perfect posts but I want posts that reflect the opinions of real humans, that's why I do not allow AI-generated content in my communities. For me, interactions in communities should be real.

Well, edited AI generated content are find for blogs, however, I believe online community should strictly avoid AI generated content. Online communities are real interactions, interactions between real humans. It does not look good when machines talk to each other.

• Like 1