What are the applications that stood out to you or that you would absolutely like to be updated

Could you identify any forum apps, including those designed for WordPress, that were notable in the past but no longer exist today? This includes abandoned apps or those that have become obsolete.

Additionally, could you mention any existing applications on other systems that you would like to see adapted for the IPS platform? Finally, which current applications do you think deserve an update for IPS version 5?

The goal is to inspire developers to create new applications and help customers identify potentially interesting applications, thereby incentivizing developers to begin development.

As for me, I was much more familiar with the applications on vbulletin at the time.

Among them :

Links and download manager:

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=231407

A great application in its time, with the possibility of installing many options in them (wimpy player, extracting data from files...)

Its author had done a very complete and remarkable job.

Following his death, I left for IPB because of downloads and because I found the work on the design of the site, writing panel, and the admin panel better than vb, we took the time even on certain details

there are other applications that were also good in their time:

vbexperience, downloadsII, postthanks, Easy Forms, quiz, infopanel, vBSEO..

as a developer we can mention dragonbyte which continues today to develop for vbulletin also xenforo but too bad not for IPS: https://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/store/

on word press, I don't know too much, but I could cite Elementor for writing pages, and as for the rest due to the ergonomics of their site, I don't find it top-notch, otherwise I would also cite a gamification system,

And regarding IPS, what applications would you like to see updated to version 5?

Quickly I will only cite the main ones which would be especially useful for my project and I will let you cite yours.

LMS - Learning Management System, stratagem, formulariz, voicemessage.. there are others that I hope to take the time to cite later

Thank you for not forgetting to also cite those which have been abandoned by their developers even if it has been a long time and which could still be useful today. as well as those of another system that you would like to see one day on IPS

• Inspiring 1

In my opinion and use cases, there are two main focus points:

1. Ease of use and fluid integration

One of the biggest gaps I still see and experience on my sites is the lack of solid video integration couple with simplifying the user experience in sharing their videos.  Other social media platforms handle this incredibly well by making it VERY easy to upload and share images and videos with a simple interface.  People today are profoundly focused on images and video and will favor whatever is easy for them to use and give them the desired sharing result.  Unfortunately IPS lacks robust video handling and presentation, and that has certain been an impact for my communities.  Even if one user can upload a video file via the editor, there is no guarantee another user's browser will display it correctly due to file types, encodings, and browser compatibilities.  As a result, users simply don't share video they otherwise would OR it gets displayed as a download link and no one wants to download it to then have to find it and open it with some other player.

2. Incentives to drive user content/interactions

Apps like what @Adriano Faria offers with Raffles/Giveaways is a nice addition to my sites to give back to members and helps incentivize visiting the site and sharing content.  Gaps for my sites right now are an extensive Contests framework, whether it is custom scored contests or photo driven contests.  Either way, having a rich contest app/framework I believe is a huge benefit to creating interest in a user base and incentivizing them to post high value content. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:10 AM, Clover13 said:

In my opinion and use cases, there are two main focus points:

1. Ease of use and fluid integration

One of the biggest gaps I still see and experience on my sites is the lack of solid video integration couple with simplifying the user experience in sharing their videos.  Other social media platforms handle this incredibly well by making it VERY easy to upload and share images and videos with a simple interface.  People today are profoundly focused on images and video and will favor whatever is easy for them to use and give them the desired sharing result.  Unfortunately IPS lacks robust video handling and presentation, and that has certain been an impact for my communities.  Even if one user can upload a video file via the editor, there is no guarantee another user's browser will display it correctly due to file types, encodings, and browser compatibilities.  As a result, users simply don't share video they otherwise would OR it gets displayed as a download link and no one wants to download it to then have to find it and open it with some other player.

2. Incentives to drive user content/interactions

Apps like what @Adriano Faria offers with Raffles/Giveaways is a nice addition to my sites to give back to members and helps incentivize visiting the site and sharing content.  Gaps for my sites right now are an extensive Contests framework, whether it is custom scored contests or photo driven contests.  Either way, having a rich contest app/framework I believe is a huge benefit to creating interest in a user base and incentivizing them to post high value content. 

Really interesting thoughts! Totally agree with your points.  

For the raffles / giveaways, have you thought about relying on the built in Leaderboard to help you run simple contests? 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 5:22 PM, dismalbliss said:

I would like to see a 3rd party developer create a courses or live topics app for self-hosted clients. 

I've experimented with Courses (on this cloud install for Invisioneer).  As of right now, you're not missing much. 

It's very, very basic.  There are very few true LMS features.  

With that said thought, I like the direction that IPS is going in helping content creators and community builders tap into their audience.  This was a very smart strategic move.  

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:39 PM, JoelR said:

Really interesting thoughts! Totally agree with your points.  

For the raffles / giveaways, have you thought about relying on the built in Leaderboard to help you run simple contests? 

How do you go about using the built in Leaderboard?

On 2/6/2024 at 2:36 PM, Clover13 said:

How do you go about using the built in Leaderboard?

There are tons of powerful filtering options in Leaderboard!

It's based on Reactions, so you'll first want to make sure you customize (or at least review) your community's reactions, how many points each reaction is worth, etc.

In the Leaderboard, simply change the filtering to the content and timeframe you want.  

https://www.invisioneer.org/leaderboard/

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person, Text

• The title was changed to What are the applications that stood out to you or that you would absolutely like to be updated