What are your thoughs on paid posting?

There are forums that offer paid to post feature where registered users will be able to earn by posting on the forum. Some forums do not have this feature, yet the owners frequently hire paid posters for their forums? What are your thoughts on paid posting? Do you think it is a good way to build content or do you believe content should be specifically built through organic means?

I am not against paid posting. If someone is running a paid to post forums, it is a business for them, it is similar to article writing sites. Paid article sites are common things on the web. Even when the forum owner hires for paid posting that's fine because it will help the owner build some activities. Paid posting can get you quality posting, which can attract organic activities.

Paid posting on forums I feel is something that is ideal and can help with activity and engagement. If you as the forum owner are able to afford to pay those who post on your forum and you have a budget you can afford, it could be a great investment for you and one to very much consider. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shortie said:

Paid posting on forums I feel is something that is ideal and can help with activity and engagement. If you as the forum owner are able to afford to pay those who post on your forum and you have a budget you can afford, it could be a great investment for you and one to very much consider. 

While I am not very optimist about paid to post forums where the owners pay all users to post on the forum, I am okay with private paid posting. If your forum is publicly open for paid posting, you will be attracting a lot of spammers who are trying to milk the system.

A bad idea unless you have someone who does quality posting. I have seen people post junk in the name of content creation. I would rather have no posts than getting those indexed under my domain.

maybe my site is small ball but I can not imagine the the ROI of paying for forum content. To be helpful it would have to be high-quality content and that is not going to be cheap. I assume the desired effect is more traffic. What is the acceptable cost metric for additional traffic? 

7 minutes ago, John Horton said:

maybe my site is small ball but I can not imagine the the ROI of paying for forum content. To be helpful it would have to be high-quality content and that is not going to be cheap. I assume the desired effect is more traffic. What is the acceptable cost metric for additional traffic? 

I'm going to ask the question another way: Are you willing to pay someone to help you expand your database of content, your reference material, your authoritativeness in your niche? 

I know the OP was discussing paid discussions, but I think the real conversation should be broader: money is a tool.  Can you use that tool to help accelerate and do things that you can't do yourself? 

@JoelR If it would meaningfully grow traffic then yes. From a pure business perspective, how do you quantify that? My forum & site is the only the active site in my niche except whatever happens at Facebook and I am a known personality in my arena. When I personally create more videos and content for the site it is obviously good for the site but I can not see an impact in traffic data. The same is true when elite athletes in the sport post.  

I am in a very small niche so maybe I have a different reality. I can see how a a bigger site might spend some percentage of revenue for good content. I think this only makes sense if the site were new or the business was big enough to budget for it. If I forked out $500 a month for paid content the ROI would be in the negative.  

The problem is, the same OP, sometimes word by word match is found on many forums. Only very few forum posting services try not to do that. You pick any admin forum, there will be a topic like phpBB or MyBB. In some cases, by the same person under different names but the same words.

17 hours ago, Dilip said:

A bad idea unless you have someone who does quality posting. I have seen people post junk in the name of content creation. I would rather have no posts than getting those indexed under my domain.

I understand what you mean. Most of paid to post sites have low quality posts despite the admin spending a lot of money on these posters. Even the paid posters are for quick money and they do not create quality content. If you are hiring quality writers, you end up spending a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:15 PM, John Horton said:

@JoelR If it would meaningfully grow traffic then yes. From a pure business perspective, how do you quantify that? My forum & site is the only the active site in my niche except whatever happens at Facebook and I am a known personality in my arena. When I personally create more videos and content for the site it is obviously good for the site but I can not see an impact in traffic data. The same is true when elite athletes in the sport post.  

I am in a very small niche so maybe I have a different reality. I can see how a a bigger site might spend some percentage of revenue for good content. I think this only makes sense if the site were new or the business was big enough to budget for it. If I forked out $500 a month for paid content the ROI would be in the negative.  

I have no idea what your niche is about, but some general questions for you to think about:

1. What is the total universe for your audience? And are you approaching a limit of that?  (For example, in some niches, there may only be 10,000 total people.  And the number of people who will post in forums in that niche will be 1,000).  It's a numbers game at a certain point.  For example, even before I started Invisioneer, I had a rough estimate of the number of IPS clients.  Then I took a percentage of that as my total audience that I would aim for in 2 - 3 years.  
  2. Can you monetize your site?  For example, can you offer resources / tips / interviews / photos / insider information in a way that provides value to people in your niche?  
  3. I've never liked to look at measures like 'traffic,' which is an activity metric and a consequence of investments in your resources.  Are there resources that you can invest in, such as guides, interviews, photos, documents, outlines, instruction manuals, beginner handbooks, John Horton's Best of 2023 Year in Review, etc. that maybe you can bring someone in to help you develop and publish?  

On 2/4/2024 at 4:24 AM, Dilip said:

The problem is, the same OP, sometimes word by word match is found on many forums. Only very few forum posting services try not to do that. You pick any admin forum, there will be a topic like phpBB or MyBB. In some cases, by the same person under different names but the same words.

If you buy posting packages form web master forums, it is very likely that you will have low quality posting. These people are in a bit hurry to earn credits. they don't care about your community. They will create similar posts and topics on all forums, there will be no originality. However, if you hire paid posters and pay better, you can get quality posting.

As someone who frequents a lot of forums, I have seen the same topic, just copy pasted on numerous websites. I guess the person or people responsible have a Word or Excel sheet from which they copy paste it to different forums on which they are hired.

While I agree that it is a good strategy as per the posting person, the webmaster gets little or no benefit from it.

There are good players too. But I am not sure how we can identify them smartly.

I do paid posting for other website owners and I also sometime hire paid posters on my site. I do agree that not all paid posters are good with their content but I believe if you forum lack activities, hiring paid posters is good compared to getting no activities on your forum. If you already have enough organic activities, it is really unnecessary to hire paid posters.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:42 PM, Dilip said:

As someone who frequents a lot of forums, I have seen the same topic, just copy pasted on numerous websites. I guess the person or people responsible have a Word or Excel sheet from which they copy paste it to different forums on which they are hired.

While I agree that it is a good strategy as per the posting person, the webmaster gets little or no benefit from it.

There are good players too. But I am not sure how we can identify them smartly.

This is a common thing in paid posting. You hire X for paid posting and another website owner also hires X. This person will be creating identical topics and posting almost similar replies on two different sites. Sometimes he might even doing copy pasting. If you are using a saturated niche for your community, this is the major issue with paid posting.