IPS Round Up: AI, Pages, and the New Smiley

• IPS Staff
On 4/6/2024 at 3:35 AM, JoelR said:

This is only from my perspective as another IPS client. IPS is sometimes okay at giving rough estimates of immediate upcoming dates (eg. private beta in April).  In ten years, I've never seen IPS give an exact date and time for a release. It would be nice, but they've never committed to publishing hard dates for clients.  

When you ask for a date, what date are you asking about? The release of a new cycle has many dates: private beta, beta, initial release, and stable.  Just because IPS releases 5.0.0 doesn't mean you want to start developing on 5.0.0.  

Exactly. We have a bunch of milestones for "open up alpha site to a small number of customers", "first beta" and "final" but it's hard to give a definitive date because each of those milestones are unpredictable in what people give us in terms of feedback and volume of bugs. If all goes well, I think late summer is realistic for final. If we need to rethink some features, then perhaps a bit longer. If no bugs are found (it'd be a miracle...) then a bit sooner. The first beta release will be probably the most exciting and when the starting pistol is fired for everyone.

• Providers
On 4/6/2024 at 1:22 PM, ReyDev said:

but I thought that maybe the structure of coding and development in version 5 will be fundamentally changed

You thought right. The coding structure has changed completely in Ipb 5. There are some deveoper blogs about the changes over at the Ipb forum. You might want to check them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Providers
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Matt said:

Exactly. We have a bunch of milestones for "open up alpha site to a small number of customers", "first beta" and "final" but it's hard to give a definitive date because each of those milestones are unpredictable in what people give us in terms of feedback and volume of bugs. If all goes well, I think late summer is realistic for final. If we need to rethink some features, then perhaps a bit longer. If no bugs are found (it'd be a miracle...) then a bit sooner. The first beta release will be probably the most exciting and when the starting pistol is fired for everyone.

@Matt I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.  It is really valuable.  The fact that you specified the approximate date also helps me in making a decision. Thank you and I hope everything goes well for your team.

Edited by ReyDev
  • Like 1