User Reports

JoeyM

Should a member be able to see the feedback from the user reports?

I have never had the issue where things have been reported, that has made me aware that the user never heard back. I always assumed when a team member replied, they would go with that message, but it doesn't seem to be the case for my community. Is this normal?

Is the feedback just an internal thing between team members, or should members be able to see the responses? If so, what I do to change this?

It caused some confusion for our team when we moved to Invision last year. We had to use a test account to be sure that members were not reading our responses. Indeed, the initial assumption was that they could read the responses.

On the one and, as a 'report' function, you would expect it to operate as a communication avenue between the reporter and the moderation team. It doesn't do that, of course. And instead, we need to send a PM to acknowledge (or seek further information), for wish there is no direct record or updates when they do reply to the PM.

And on the other hand, it is a poorly functioning, non-integrated moderation system. But this is true of the entire Invision moderation system - it is just some ad hock, disparate systems, with poor logging and non-existent sort/search systems.

Moderation really needs a complete rethink by Invision. Failing this, it seems like an area which is crying our for an all encompassing moderation app. I expect it would popular and could command a good fee.

Edited by Como

On 10/19/2024 at 5:36 PM, Como said:

It caused some confusion for our team when we moved to Invision last year. We had to use a test account to be sure that members were not reading our responses. Indeed, the initial assumption was that they could read the responses.

On the one hand, as a 'report' function, you would expect it to operate as a communication avenue between the reporter and the moderation team. It doesn't do that, of course. Instead, we need to send a PM to acknowledge (or seek further information), for which there is no direct record or updates when they do reply to the PM.

And on the other hand, it is a poorly functioning, non-integrated moderation system. But this is true of the entire Invision moderation system - it is just some ad hock, disparate systems, with poor logging and non-existent sort/search systems.

Moderation really needs a complete rethink by Invision. Failing this, it seems like an area which is crying our for an all encompassing moderation app. I expect it would popular and could command a good fee.

Edited the above to correct for types and to add small clarifications.

31 minutes ago, JoelR said:

There are no options to change what members can see for a report, anything posted is between the moderators.

That's right - no options.

31 minutes ago, JoelR said:

I used a simple plugin for many years that could give status updates (eg. Report was Received / Pending / Completed).  

There is a status indicator, but I assumed that is not displayed to the reporting member. Do you mean a plugin which would display the report status to the reporting member? If so, that's a small improvement. But the whole moderation system requires a complete rethink. No one on our team is happy with any aspect of how the moderation systems operate.

I'd like to have:

• Reports listed as threads in a nominated forum (at least as an option)
  • The ability to send a direct response/message from the report thread to the member and it logged in the report thread (and labelled as such)
  • Replies/updates from the reporter logged in the report thread (and labelled as such)
  • Status indicator for the report thread (optionally shared with the reporter)
  • Sort and search functions for reports
  • Reports of the 'same incident', 'same reported member', and 'same reporter' should be automatically linked.

In communities of any appreciable size, moderation of members can become complicated, with repeated problems relating to a single member. But there are no systems in place to organise these occurrences with Invision, and not even the ability to search. As things stand, we rely on collective memory, but when team members leave, even that is not available to us.

Edited by Como

Hi @Adriano Faria

I was not aware of that app; it helps some. If is surely a functions which should have ben included with the report system. But there are much larger problems with how reports operate. Entries become ephemeral because related reports are not automatically linked, they cannot be linked manually, and they even cannot be searched.

There is (or was) another app which instead automatically creates a moderation thread, which would help too. After we upgrade to v5, I will look at your app again (and search out the other too).